1.25.2011

Be My Valentine - Heart & Joke Origami Tutorial

Valentine's Day is the perfect excuse to whip up a little origami project to say I love you!

We will be making a cute little heart (with a pocket and flap) that you can write a joke on or tuck a love note or candy into!! 


They would also make excellent party name cards, surprises in someones purse, briefcase, or lunch box... or how about putting one in your Love's coat pocket, car, or winter hat? 

Let's give it a try! 

Step one.  Start with a square piece of paper -- pretty side up.  I used a 6 x 6 inch in the demo and the heart shrank to about 3 inches tall; which was a perfect hand size for me. 


Step two and three.  Take the bottom left hand corner and bring it up to the upper right hand corner to make a diagonal fold (left pic).  Next take the bottom right hand corner and bring it to the upper left hand corner (right pic).

Step four. Unfold the square you will notice you have two diagonal lines making a big X on your paper!


Step five and six.  Fold the bottom edge up to the top (left pic).  Then fold the left edge over to the right edge (right pic).

Step seven.  Unfold the square and you will be left with the original paper with lines across, and up and down.


Step six.  Flip your piece of paper back over so that the pretty side faces down.  In this step, you are looking for the square that was made from the folding outlines.  See how the folds sectioned the paper into fourths below.


Step seven.  Here you want to pull the paper in behind that square we found in the last step.  See how part of the paper gets tucked in behind the square. 

You'll know you have it right when you now are holding a square 1/4 the size of the original piece of paper with the pretty side tucked inside the square.  (Yes, I switched my demo origami paper in between steps, ha!)


Step eight.  Turn your square so that the open flap part is now at the top of the square.  Lika so...


Step nine and ten.  Take one of the arms from the top and fold it down to the bottom point (left pic) -- which should now also show off that amazing color in the middle! Now, flip the square over and repeat the same thing here... pull the arm down to the bottom point (right pic).
Step eleven.  At the new top now you can see there is a split between what could be two antennae; grab the left antennae (left pic) and pull it down past the half way a bit and on an angle to form the top bump of the heart.  Yes, it's ok to be artsy here... many angles will work and you just want to make sure you pull enough down that you can tuck the antennae into the pocket in the middle.

Step twelve.  When you get you top bump looking like you like it... then press to create a fold and tuck that little flap in.

REPEAT Step thirteen to create the right bump. 


Step fourteen.  a.k.a - the easiest step.  Admire the artistic folding job you have done so far and flip the heart over. (pic shows the 'backside' of the heart with the flaps tucked in)

Step fifteen.  a.k.a. - the other easiest step!  Check out the pocket (left pic) and heart flap (right pic).


Step sixteen.  Proceed to play!!!  Here are some of the things you can do with your new Valentine or any lovey-time heart...

1. Put goodies in the pocket!!

I have to admit not a lot fits in the pocket, but part of the fun is trying different things! 

In this one, I wrote a name on the front and then tucked a joke in the pocket. 

NOTE: When writing on the front, using permanent maker, expect bleed through!  I put a folded piece of scrap paper in the flap while I wrote on the front to prevent this.


For the joke I found this free printable Disney joke sheet which was easy to print and cut apart!

Funny, funny stuff!!


I also wrote a cute little something under the flap...  reminder... Katie is my sweet almost four year old golden retriever "puppy!!"


2. Write a joke right on the front of the heart with the answer hidden in the flap!!

Q: "What do squirrels give for Valentine's Day?"


Q: "What did the caveman give his wife for Valentine's Day?"


Here are some other jokes I found in a quick search... 

go ahead...

laughing at corny jokes is good wholesome happiness!

Q: What did the stamp say to the envelope?
A: I'm stuck on you.

Q: What happens when you fall in love with a French chef?
A: You get buttered up.

Q: What is a vampire's sweetheart called?
A: His ghoul-friend.

Q: What do farmers give their wives on Valentine's Day?
A: Hogs and kisses!

3. And why stop there when you can use sappy Knock Knock jokes!!

You're going to love this one!! 


Get it?  Hahahahaha!! 

Yes, I have had a ton of fun making these up!

--------------------And, Mr. Happy this one's for you love!----------------------

Q: "What did one light bulb say to the other?"


Hope you enjoyed making your own origami hearts as much as I did!!  

Perhaps you would to try another origami?
Origami Pine Trees

12 comments:

Shelley said...

I haven't heard jokes like that in decades! Thanks for the laugh. :)

Heather said...

my kids will love this origami lesson! I adore your sayings and jokes, too.
haven't heard the whole watt, one before, very cute!!!
xxoo

Beka said...

you're such a dork...just sayin

Wendy said...

Hey, I use origami in my geometry classes periodically throughout the year. This will be great to work in around Valentine's Day (but we do geometry poetry). Very cute & fun!! Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

I loved doing origami when I was young! My mother had a friend who knew all sorts of different, other country style, crafts...back then, that was what origami was...now a days, it's pretty popular - but she was like a mellow, earthy lady...beautiful, and she'd come visit, sharing all of her awesomeness with us - I admired her.

Anyway...I have TRIED to introduce origami to all three of my boys, and they like it...when it's simple. Boys! They have no patience for what takes much longer than a slip, tuck and minute. hahaha

Great post!!

Suburban Girl said...

Visiting here always makes me smile. Really it does. I noticed it again when your blog opened up today. I am going to show my daughter this. I think she will really like doing it.

Anonymous said...

Very cute and a fun activity to do with a group!

AmyH said...

Fun and cute- love it! Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter!

Jeannette StG said...

Yeah, I remember doing this in school with my friends: colors, hobbies, and a whole lot of other things!

Jim said...

I loved your jokes, Christie! :) In fact I am still smiling. I might steal the Valentine gift from the farmer one. One? Maybe more?

Your origami looks like something I might could do. When I dropped in at our church today, eight ladies were quilting.

One had a quilt made for her deceased husband. He also had worked at the NASA Manned Space Center here and his dear wife made him a quilt with all of his Apollo and Gemini patches. I have lost more than I have kept but Mrs. Jim says we ought to make a display of mine. She won't make me a quilt though.
..
BTW, the ones I have lost were from before I met Mrs. Jim.
..

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Perfect for valentine's day!
happy crafting!
Linda

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

how did I miss these!? Oh they are simply fabulous! : ) I just noticed as I was scrolling through to pick up a post of yours for a link on my Tips on Tuesdays tomorrow. : ) You'll have to come peek.
ps
love the sewing valentine. hehe

Related Posts with Thumbnails