9.15.2011

Koala and Wombat Zippy Clutch

I know.  I never thought I would be making a zippy clutch featuring these two animals together, but it was perfect my secret partner in the Seaweed and Raine Sunshine Mail swap who is from Australia and has a blog titled Wombat's Picnic!

I started by cutting out the Koala's from a piece of fabric in my stash... it's the same as the one I used to back my Happy Garden quilt, but in black and white instead of yellow and red.


Then I picked a few fabrics to coordinate and decided on green and brown as per one of my partner's likes.


I used the same pattern for the Gathered Clutch from Noodlehead as I did making my Groovy Clutch only I made the front band a bit wider to accommodate wombats.  Here's a bit on wombats if you are curious.

The wombats were created by fusing fabric to interfacing, drawing and cutting out the shape, hand sewing them to the band, and them making them pretty with the seed beading. 


I love the affect!!  And those wee ears!!

Where were we?  Ahh yes, moving on to the clutch lining.


I picked out more green for the lining and used the pink flowers as the credit card holder slots. 


And here is the front of the clutch all finished up.  You can see I added a few lines of quilting too.


And that Koala mom and babe on the back.


And those pretty flowers on the inside.

And there you have it... Koala's and Wombats co-existing happily. 

I must say that greens and browns with a pop of brilliant color like fuchsia really gets me thinking about the start of fall.  The summer green begins to give way to the show that is coming...and I'm excited to have a front row seat!! 

Celebrate Color

I'll be adding this clutch as an entry to wearables category in the Celebration of Color being hosted by the talented Stitched in Color from September through November.  So many inspirations to take in.  And of course colors... oh and check out the prizes offered for this month as well... it's not too late to join in!

10 comments:

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Christie! Wow what a wonderful and funny fabrics! I love the colours too and they do bring autumn to my mind!
xxx Teje

zsazsazsu said...

gorgeous combination for sure !

Anonymous said...

gee thats beautiful fabric.I haven't saw that before..You did such a lovely job,

MJ said...

You did a wonderful job!! Love the fabrics!!
xx oo

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Thanks for adding to our photo pool. Nice to meet you!

Seaweed and Raine said...

Yep - I love your spin on the gathered clutch! Thanks for the break down on what you did. :) Those seed beads and the contrast pocket make the world of difference!

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

ahhh what a sweet clutch, buttt you make it look so darn easy----I am not sure I believe that it would be so simple for me, but hey you have inspired me to try!
:o) Thanks!
Jaime from crafty scrappy happy
and thank so so much for linking up!

gift ideas said...

It is beautiful fabric, I gifted same bag to my grandmother on her birthday, I also stick colorful glitters and stones on its belt.

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

That is the perfect fabric for a wombat lover, how cool! I really like the pockets and the wombats with their sparkly beads, your partner will be happy!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Your projects are so creative! I love to see what you're working on. Thanks for linking this to Fab Friday.

Warmly, Michelle

Related Posts with Thumbnails