9.22.2011

X Marks the Spot {done!}

This journey with Fandango fabric all started here.

But when we last left off... I was talking about quilting.  Next up was to square off the quilt.  With my batting being about 90 x 120 inches I realized my quilt was bigger than my batting.  Quick fix really.  I cut off three inches all the way around the quilt.  Finished size is about 90 by 90 square.

I put my cutting mat on the floor and chopped the piano key border in half.  And I must admit I like it much better this way!!


Then, I made up the binding.  It's a mix of this turquoise fabric and scraps from the boarder I cut off.  LOVE!!


The fabric is called Jewels of the Sea by Lonni Rossi for Andover Fabrics.  It's a good one!!


Then, I machine stitched the binding to the front.  And finished off the back with hand sewing.  Love that we got a bit of chilly weather over the weekend that made it fantastic to cuddle under a quilt in progress!


And here she is!!  X Marks the Spot.  All finished.  Fresh from the wash... and has already made her first trek out of the house to a quilt guild meeting.  

I have adored these colors from the start... something fresh and renewing about them.  Reminds me a bit of the changing seasons and it's funny how I could say this is really so spring with the bright yellow.  Or so summer with that amazing deep turquoise... but at the same time those peaches remind me of the leaves starting to change colors.  Funny how a quilt can have so much personality.

It seemed only fitting to take pictures of this quilt in the woods as I am entering it in the Celebrate Color party over at Stitched in Color.

Celebrate Color


I did minimal quilting.  It's hard to see but I have loose wiggly lines through the centers of each row... creating another x marks spot through each block.  It's simple and doesn't take away from the pattern or fabrics.

The back is pieced from scraps left over.  A few blocks here, a few big pieces of fabric there.  And I even made another X.  Cool, right?


Here you can see some of the binding .... mmmm... scrappy binding!!


And yes, have no fear... this quilt was quality control tested by the girls before it went out.

Katie approves!


Sammy, on the left, thinks it's pretty cool too!


And there you have it!!  Finished and ready to be loved!  This quilt was made for my sewing space... and I can see many sewing sessions with this cutie on my lap.  The quilt... not the dogs.

XOXO!

I will also be linking up with Fabric Tuesday over at Quiltstory for a little show and tell!


Fresh Poppy Design

25 comments:

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

Christie, this is beautiful, and BIG! You make big quilts ;) It is really cheery, I have some of this fabric in a jelly roll just waiting for the right project...I really like your X's! nice job all around ;)

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Love it! So gorgeous. And I think you made the right decision trimming the border - it looks perfect! I love how "mistakes" turn out to be divine inspiration. :)

Debbie said...

What a fun quilt! Love the scrappiness of it! And great photos!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Christie! Your new quilt is fantastic! I thought first you fix your wadding but it was great idea to cut the border and get also material for binding - with that lovely turquoise! I love your autumn colours and photos in woods!
xxx Teje

Anonymous said...

Great job! I love it! the dogs just look like the pictures of innocence on it!

Craft-a-Boo said...

SEW CUTE!!!! I love your furry quilt inspectors!

Thanks for coming to link up to my link party this weekend! Hope to see you next week!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the dogs lying on it!

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous quilt - love the Fandango fabrics!!

Amber *SaltTree Creative* said...

so sweet! love the fabric choices :) seeing a project like yours makes me wish quilting was a talent i had... which sadly, i don't! lol... it's lovely!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

I have yet to make a quilt so I am in awe of everyone who has. This is beautiful. And I am in total love with your dogs!

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

awhhhhh what an AMAZING quilt and what sweet sweet pups! I LOVE that they got to test out the quilt! I just want to give both pups a big huge hug! :o) I love your quilt and your pups---together=the best project ever!
:o)
Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

Lindsay Conner said...

Looks so soft and snuggly--I especially love your fabric choices!

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! I love that fabric line. And your dogs are so cute! Thanks for linking up at Creative Me Monday!

Megan said...

Great finish! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

Toni said...

Great quilt! Love the fabrics you used. And I really love your photos! It is hard to get good pictures of big quilts, but I love the ways you have displayed them!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

your quiltmaking is excellent! Love the binding. Looks really good. Love the photo of it on the chair! Picture perfect!! : ) You for you!!
~Monika
who hasn't made a quilt in a long long time...

Jeanette said...

So cute, love the photography of the quilt outdoors, and of course those cute doggies. I hope their paws were clean!!

Sara said...

So cute!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/09/turquoise-lovin-6.html

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Congratulations on such a big finish!

Miranda said...

The quilt looks great! I had to trim off the sides like that once too! And I used the trimmed off part for the binding. Your dogs are super cute :) I came over from Quiltstory.

trish said...

What a gorgeous quilt!!
And such cute helpers to
pose for us! :o)
Have a wonderful week.
Sincerely, Trish

Krafty Max Originals said...

Beautiful!!

Hop'n by from 'Creative Me Monay Hop'. Sorry I am so very late, it has been a crazy week! Bu, I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

Krafty Max Originals

Fifi said...

This is gorgeous!! I love all the colors!!


newest follower!!

Chef in Training said...

this is so beautiful! Great job! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Melissa said...

Oh man, those are some cute pups!!! Love the quilt too :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails