8.06.2012

Dogs on Quilts & Dog Art Quilt

I've finally got my act together and am ready to enter the Pet's on Quilts Show hosted by the lovely Lily Pad Quilting

Girls are you ready?  Perk up and look lively!! 

Pets on Quilts

Here we go!  If we are meeting for the first time I'd like to say welcome and I'm so glad you've come!  So are the girls!! 

Katie and Sammy are two high energy, quilt loving, golden retrievers.  Katie is on the left, she's a little over 5 years old.  And Sammy is just a pup coming in at a little over 1 year old.  They are posing for you today on my most recent finish, the Rainbow quilt, which I admit is getting a ton of use even in the summer. 


For the Dog Themed 'Art' Quilt category, I am also debuting my whole cloth painted quilt.  I think I am going to call this one "Puppy  Dreams," but don't say I didn't warn you that the name might change a million more times. 

Yes, you guessed it, that's Sammy in fabric and paint!!  I have to say that I am totally in love with this new process and the freedom of multimedia!  

It all started with the introduction to painting on fabric through an event that was hosted by my Art Quilt special interest group.  It was honestly one of those moments in a lifetime that you feel a spark ignite and all you want to live for is for painting on fabrics. 

Ok, so maybe it wasn't that strong, but I did pretty much order my own set of fabric paints within a week and then got to work.  I decided to start with a picture I took of Sammy for a challenge called "Darling" issued through the Creative Tuesday Co-op.  If you want to be inspired or to feed a need to continuously create, then I highly recommend the group!!  

Once I was satisfied with how Sammy looked, I heat set the paint and got to work on adding fur texture through quilting.  I admit the quilting was a bit nerve-wrecking, but I am so pleased with the results!

Even with the quilting progressing nicely, I still had to do something with the plain white background.  You see Sammy embodies puppy hood... never stopping, runs everywhere, she's loud, she adores toys, and I might even venture to say that hiking and swimming are her favorite things to do.  So, I needed a background to match her personality.

Here's a close up of raw edge appliqued green fabric to create a mossy ground.  The texture is finished off with more free motion quilting and a few dabs of paint for drama.

I also added bits of raw wool roving in blues and greens to create the effect of the wind swirling around her.  The last touch was to cut those flowers out of white lace, tack them on, put a pearl bead in the middle, and then a touch of orange to help them pop.

Yes, I really enjoyed bringing this quilt to life!  And I'm happy to be sharing it with you today too!
And because I couldn't resist just one more picture of our little ham.  Here is one more of Sammy from my instagram feed.  I'm @cwiltex if you want to follow along there.


It was a pleasure to have you over!  Wishing you sunshine and endless creativity!

39 comments:

Michele T said...

Wow! Love your dogs and quilts - thanks for sharing!!

Michele T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Agnes B. Bullock said...

WOW! Great Art Quilt of your beautiful little girl! The Rainbow quilt is gorgeous too- my favorite block has to be the Royal BLue, due to the NY Giants logo!

quiltmom anna said...

A pair of beautiful quilts and dogs. Your dogs look so loveable- and your art quilt is gorgeous- You have created a wonderful piece with fabric paints.
Enjoy the festival.
Regards from Western Canada,
Anna

Loris said...

I love goldens and your two are so beautiful! Your artquilt is wonderful. Lovely work!

Joanna said...

What a beautiful face. Katie and Sammy are both gorgeous and take a great picture.

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Christie! How I enjoyed again my visit! Sammy and Kate are so sweet girls and your works are always so inspiring! Sammy's art quilt is extra special!
I was reading so many your earlier wonderful posts (my reader has lost them, has to check what happens there)! I wish you and the girls wonderful time! x Teje

Snoodles said...

What a fun post....glad that you showed us closeups and how you made the art quilt. Your rainbow quilt is lovely, and your doggie models are, too!
Thanks for entering the show!

The Thimblemouse of Country Crossroads said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Katie & Sammy...they are precious. Your painted quilt ROCKS!!!! What a great job! My "Maggie" gives it 4 Paws Up!

Maria said...

Beautiful photos of Sammy and Katie..

Mandy said...

I love your photos of your dogs and your dogs are just beautiful. How clever you are with your quilt, the portrait is great, you have captured the spirit of Sammy.
Best wishes from Australia.

Needled Mom said...

Your quilt is incredible and your dogs are beautiful. I can see why you fell in love with art quilting.

Anonymous said...

I need you to give me your dogs :P They are ridiculously cute

QuiltSue said...

Puppy Dreams is a very clever quilt.

SpartanBabe said...

Those two are great and that Sammy Portrait is wonderful! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

This is amazing! Looks just like her!

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

I am speechless. THAT is beautiful! It's like you fabulous artistic ability just joined forces with the medium. You did it!! WOWEE!! That is your best work ever - looks so naturally perfect. You must be over the rainbow.

~~~

seriously, your biggest fan,
Monika K
: )))))))

Michael said...

WOW, that is very cool, christie. LOVE seeing it up close--all the details and swirls. Really came out great, didn't it? Love it.

Missy Shay said...

You quilt is fantastic!

legato1958 said...

Your portrait of Sammy is gorgeous and so realistic!! What a talent you have! And your dogs are so pretty and look so happy on their quilt on the deck!

Dana Gaffney said...

Wow, that quilt is amazing! I love all the additions. I love your dogs they are both so beautiful. Thank you.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Puppy dreams and really the other quilt and pups are pretty cool

Mhairi said...

I love your quilts and your dogs.

Marianne said...

What sweet dogs!

Katie said...

such sweet dogs and beautiful quilt. I voted for you!

Rebeckah Austin said...

Loving the Bottled Rainbow quilt!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Beautiful animals.......love how they both started out resting and then the next photo they are both "at attention"...the rainbow quilt is lovely and what an excellent job on the Art quilt! I just started using fabric pastels and love them!

landscapelady said...

Well done! Love your quilt and the dogs , they are beautiful

heartsease54 said...

What absolutely lovely dogs and I love your art quilt-it captures him perfectly!

Marcia W. said...

Your rainbow and portrait quilt are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Wow - that is so amazing!! Your dogs are gorgeous and I love the quilts too!

Lyndsey said...

The portrait quilt is amazing. I am planning on doing one of our own dog. I'm currently trying to get the perfect photo of him to work from. Great work. thanks for sharing

CaroleM said...

Beautiful dogs! And wonderful job on your art quilt! Very talented!

1000 Goldens said...

I'm so impressed, beautiful job :)

Anonymous said...

Katie and Sammy did a great job of modeling : ) Your quilt is gorgeous with all the deatil and colors!

Anonymous said...

...I meant "detail" : )

Suburban Girl said...

I loved the way you merged the fabric paint with the quilting.

Unknown said...

In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails